Friday, September 16, 2011

A post from a Maori sister - thank you

Firstly, thankyou so much for initiating a format to articulate the consequences of the theft of our birthright names and the power in reclaiming what was wrongfully taken.

In English so you can understand:
My tribe is Ngati Whatua
My sub-tribe is Te Uro O Hau
My canoe which bought my ancestors here is Mahuhu
My mountain that I identify as mine is
My ocean that I identify as mine is the Kaipara
My river that I identify as mine is the Wairoa
My ancestoral house is Waikaretu
It is situated at Pouto
My Grandfather's name is Michael Piripi Ariki Dindi Ihimaera
My name is Sonya Lynnette Theresa Ihimaera-Hertig

As a result of the "registering of natives" which took place back in the 1800's, colonialists took the opportunity to "europeanise" many Maori names. The powers of the day decided the Ihimaera was too hard to spell/pronounce so they took Piripi and felt it could easily be changed to Phillips. My Grandfather and his brothers and sisters, then my father and his sisters, then me and my sisters, lived our lives under the surname of Phillips. That name is on my Grandfather's headstone!

My Grandfather passed away when I was in my late 30's. As well as grieving him, I grieved that the loss of his birthright name was there engraved for the world to see. As a result of working through my this, I considered the resurrection of Ihimaera, our identification. After speaking to my elders, they gave me permission to change my name. Although this doesn't right the wrong, it is empowering and it's a start for me and future generatiions.

Although treaty issues are addressed now and reconciliation is beginning, the theft of name/identification is still a painful issue.

Recently a N.Z soldier who fought in the Maori Battalion wanted to travel to Italy for memorial day, to honour his fallen brothers. This was the first time he had to organise an international passport. Consequently it was the first time he had to source a copy of his birth certificate. He wished to have his passport worded in his birth name. He was denied and had to stay with his "given" registered name. At 79, he still had to live with the sting of the past.

Very sad and inconceivable that we still don't get it right!

Sonya Ihimaera-Hertig

No comments:

Post a Comment